I used raw milk as I think it works better than processed because the curds & whey will separate more easily if the milk hasn’t been homogenised.
• Bring 2 litres of milk to 88c, just below a simmer.
• Reduce the heat to low & sprinkle over 50mls of apple cider vinegar.
• Stir for 1 minute, quickly but without making too many waves.
• Take off the heat &leave to separate for 10 minutes.
• Put some muslin in a sieve over a bowl & catch the curds in the muslin.
• Mix in some salt, then squeeze the cheese in the muslin & twist the end, then flatten a bit before putting in a tray with a fairly heavy chopping board on the top.
• Leave for 15 mins then remove from the muslin, pour cold water into the tray & leave for another 15 minutes to firm up.
• It will keep in the fridge for about 4 days but is guaranteed to be eaten before then.
Delicious on its own but fried like halloumi.